To be honest, I have been drooling over the Hourglass Modernist Eye Palettes for a LONG time! I held out testing it out for a few reasons: very expensive and mixed reviews of the product. As you can see, however, the magnetic pull to this palette won out and here it is!
Hourglass Modernist Eye Shadow palette is beautiful but does it work well as an eye shadow? There are seven available Hourglass Modernist palettes :
- Obscure is earthy tones and includes: cream, smokey brown, rose gold, coffee, and cool bronze
- Monochrome is rose tones and includes: warm ivory, rose nude, peony pink, light mauve, and dark chocolate
- Infinity is warm neutrals with warm ivory, dusty rose, bronzed mauve, cool taupe, and dark cocoa
- Graphite includes smokey tones warm ivory, copper gold, deep brown, gun metal,and silver
- Exposure is plum based with champagne, aubergine, bronze, black violet, and lilac shadows
- Color Field is olive and has warm ivory, champagne gold, taupe brown, golden olive, and forest green
- Atmosphere has cool neutrals such as pale ivory, pale pink, taupe, espresso, and charcoal – this is the only all matte palette
I chose the Atmosphere selection – and if you know me you would have guessed that since it is the only all matte palette. The colors in the palette are so appropriate for me and, in reality, the only colors that I really wear.
So…what did I think about this palette?
I LOVE it!! It is so beautiful to view and that does not end there. The colors are so creamy-ish and apply/blend flawlessly. There is definite fall-out but that happens in almost all my palettes and does not bother me at all!
The fact that there are no true dividers between the colors may not appeal to all. I find it as a non-issue with me and lends to the beauty of the palette. What I do not know, however, is whether it will crack when you start to hit pan in an area. Does anyone know?
Some reviews I analyzed reported that the lighter colors did not hold much pigmentation and/or were more dry than the others. I did not find this with my palette at all.
Another question is longevity. I use eye shadow primer with my Mac Paint Pot (in painterly) my favorite item to use to serve this purpose. Using primer (I also tested it out with a Smashbox and Urban Decay primer), the shadows last all day (10+ hours) with little, if any, fading or creasing. So happy!!
A lingering question is…how much? Okay – take a seat because this is startling (at least it was to me). The Hourglass Modernist palettes case $58 but before you shut the door, remember that you can (hopefully) find a palette that has all colors that you will USE – not one of those loaded palettes that you typically use only 1/3 of the colors (at least that is what happens with me!). The quantity of shadow for each color is also greater than what you often receive in larger eye shadow palettes, which is important when they are colors you love and use regularly! The colors in this palette also lend to creating several different looks even though there are only five options. Do I sound convinced that this is a good buy? Well, for me it really is! I adore it and am so happy with my leap of faith to purchase it! Hourglass rocks again!
See my video review in the link below and then let me know what you think!!
Thanks so much!! Enjoy!